For any assessment that students do not submit through Blackboard, you can still manage the students' grades in Blackboard. You can manually create a Grade Center column, and then manually enter each student's grade. Note that if you create an assessment in Blackboard using one of its assessment tools (assignments, tests, graded Discussion Board) that a Grade Center column will be automatically created for you.
It can be useful to manage all course grades in Blackboard, as you can then easily calculate final grades, and students can keep track of their progress in the course. It's also helpful to include all grades in Blackboard so that you can download and submit them to your division office along with attendance at the end of the term.
To create a manual Grade Center column:
- In your course in Blackboard, navigate to the Full Grade Center.
- Click Create Column.
- Type a name for the column in Column Name.
- Select a Primary Display option from the menu. Note: Students cannot see the secondary display.
- If you are using weighted grades, select the Category of the assessment.
- For Points Possible type the total number of points a student can earn for the assessment.
- Enter a Due Date for the assessment.
- If a rubric is used to grade the assessment, click Add Rubric.
- If this assessment will be included in the total points students earn for a course, click Yes for Include this Column in Grade Center Calculations (this is the default selection).
- In order for students to see their score, click Yes for Show this Column to Students (this is the default selection).
- Click Submit.
A new Grade Center column has been created. Note: The new column will be located all the way at the right (end) of your Grade Center columns.