The doc file type in Microsoft Word was used from Word 97 to Word 2003. There are instances where you may still being using an older type, and need to convert it to the current file type, docx. One instance to convert a doc file to docx is when checking document accessibility. The accessibility checker is not available in the doc file format.
To convert a doc file to a docx file:
- In your doc Word file, navigate to the File menu.
- Under Compatibility Mode, click Convert.
- If you receive the message that your document will be upgraded to the newest file format click Ok
- Click File
- Click Save As
- Select the location where you want to save to the file
- You will see that the file extension has changed to docx
- Click Save