If you want to import a test from Word or another text-based document into Blackboard, it isn’t possible to do so directly, and copying and pasting each question and answer can take hours. Learning Technologies has purchased software called Respondus for use in the Learning Technologies Office that can convert tests from text-based files you might use in a classroom, to files that can be imported into Blackboard. The software is available in both huddle rooms B and C. Contact the Learning Technologies Office if you would like to make an appointment to convert your tests.
The most important step in converting the files using Respondus is to ensure that the files are in the correct format. Both tests that you have created, and some tests created by a textbook publisher, may need to have changes made to their formatting before they can be converted in Respondus. Respondus provides instructions for formatting a test that can be converted for use in Blackboard. Click the instructions link. To access the formatting guidelines:
- Click Respondus 4.0 User Guide – Blackboard Learn. The file will download to your computer.
- Open the file on your computer, and under Start Menu click Importing Questions to Respondus.
- Browse to Step 4 and The Standard Format for Importing. The information included in this step outlines how your file must be formatted for use in Respondus.
Once your file is formatted as directed, bring it to the Learning Technologies office to convert it using the Respondus software.
- Click the Respondus icon to start the program.
- Click Import Questions.
- From the Type of file drop down menu, select the type of file you are importing.
- Browse for the file on the computer, and select the file name.
- Make sure Create a new document, named is selected, and type in a file name.
- Click Preview.
- Make note of any messages in the Warnings and Notes field. Notes about duplicate question titles can be ignored. All others need to be resolved before proceeding. For any warnings, check your file’s formatting against the Standard Format for Importing requirements and make changes as needed.
- Click Finish.
- When File Saved message appears, click Okay.
- Click Preview + Publish.
- Click Publish.
- Click Publish Wizard.
- Select Save pool to local file for manual uploading.
- Click Next.
- Click Save As to select the file location.
- Choose whether you want to import a pool of questions (no points included), or a test (including points).
- Click Finish.
- The file for importing into Blackboard is complete and saved on the location you indicated on your computer. Follow the steps to Import a test, survey, or pool to import the file into your course in Blackboard.