Successful setup of a course assignment will also allow faculty reviewers to score collected artifacts using the assessment rubrics in Blackboard Outcomes. This secondary assessment does NOT occur in the courses Blackboard section. Instead, the scoring occurs in Blackboard’s Outcomes and Assessment tool, and scores are aggregated with scores from other courses and sections. These results are not seen by students.
- Navigate to the area of the course where the assignment submission link will be made available to students.
- Select Assessments and then click Assignment.
- REQUIRED: On the Create Assignment page, enter the name and instructions for the assignment. For successful assessment, the assignment Name and the assignment Instructions sections must be entered by the instructor. Assignment instructions should also direct students to remove any identifying information from the assignment prior to submission. Artifacts with identifying information, such as student name or instructor name, cannot be used in the outcome assessment process. Blackboard still tracks which student submitted the assignment for student grading purposes.
- Additional assignment files can be attached in the Assignment Files Reviewers will see the full instructions and any additional attached files to assist in the assessment of the assignment.
- Due dates can be added to alert students of when assignments are due. Students are able to still submit their assignments after this date, but it will be marked late.
- REQUIRED: Enter the amount of points that are possible for the assignment. This is a required field and the point valued entered will be reflected in the course Grade Center.
- Submission details allow for the assignment to be submitted by an individual student or a group. The number of attempts the student can submit can be defined in this section along with the option to have the assignment checked by SafeAssign, a plagiarism detection tool.
- Grading options allow for other users to grade the assignment. These options are used when there is a TA in the class that will also be grading assignments.
- Display of Grades defines how the grade will be shown to students. You can also select if the assignment will be included in the Grade Center.
- Availability allows for the assignment to be setup ahead of time. Here you can define the dates the assignment submission link will be available to students.
- Click Submit and the assignment submission link will be added to the course.
Adding Alignments to an Assignment
After creating the assignment submission link you must then align the goals for the assessment.
- To align an assessment with a course goal, navigate to the assignment submission link.
- Then click the contextual menu chevron next to the link and select Add Alignments.
- On the Discover Goals page, use the Browse Criteria menu to the available goals for the specified criteria.
- Goals that meet the criteria will display in the Criteria Summary Select the checkboxes to select the goals.
- Click Submit to align the goal with the assignment.