If you used Word to write tests which you print out for your class and now you want to move the tests into Blackboard, the instructions below will show you how a free online Blackboard Test Question Generator can help you accomplish this otherwise very tedious task.
Disclaimer: This free online tool is created by Northeast Wisconsin Technical College. Though it has been available for everyone to use for years, it could be removed at any time. It works with only 6 types of test questions. They are: Multiple Choice, Multiple Answers, True/False, Matching and Ordering questions.
This is how this tool works in a nutshell. You will:
- Modify the Word document so that the test questions are formatted according to the rules set by the Generator.
- Copy-and-paste the questions into the text box of the Generator.
- Download the generated file and upload it to a test in Blackboard.
Step by Step Instructions
A. Convert the Word document of test questions into a .TXT document
To prepare your Word document for the Generator. Lets' first see a sample test.
1. Click this link: https://resources.online.nwtc.edu/blackboard/test-generator/# , and click Help. (Ignore “Instructional video-step 1" and "Instructional Video – Step 2” – They don’t work.)
2. View the instructions provided in the Help window. Then click Show Me an Example to download the file. (Click Close to close the Help window.)
This text below is a copy from the above Help window:
Blackboard eases the task of creating tests with the upload questions option.
This test generator will produce a properly formatted document you can use to generate your next test.
You can use any word processing software (i.e. Microsoft Word) to create your test. The test generator will recognize lines beginning with numbers as individual questions and any row following as an associated answer. Rows in your document which begin with anything other than an alphanumeric character will be ignored. It is recommended that you utilize the numbering function in your word processor to help produce an organized document. Once you have created your test, simply copy and paste the document into the test generate and click "Generate". For details on the available question types, please see below.
3. Open and review the downloaded test example to learn the rules for formatting 6 different types of test questions. Below is a screen capture of the test example.
4. Edit your test document in Word to match the formats required by the generator, as shown above. Follow the formatting rules very closely. Otherwise the questions will not display correctly.
5. Copy all of the questions and answers, then paste them from your modified Word document into the text box on the generator page. This process is one step for the whole test, do not copy and paste each question individually.
6. Click Generate →
7. Take a look at the text on in the right box to spot potential misses (TF = True/False; MAT = Matching; MC= Multiple Choice; ESS = Essay). Click Download ↓
8. The saved file is a .TXT file. Find the downloaded file in your computer’s downloads folder. Rename it as necessary. You can open the file with Notepad to see if all is good before uploading to Blackboard.
B. Build a test using the generated file
You can create a new test with the .TXT file or add the questions from the .TXT file to an existing but undeployed test.
1. Log into your Blackboard account and navigate to the course you want to use this test. On the content page for your students to access the test, hover over Assessments.
2. Click Test.
3. Click Create (or select an existing test from the list and click Submit. Skip steps 4 and 5 below if you select an existing test).
4. Enter a name for the test. Enter descriptions and instructions.
5. Click Submit.
6. Click Upload Questions.
7. Click Browse to get the .TXT test file from your computer.
8. The file is attached. Click Submit.
9. The upload is successful. Your have now moved your test questions from a Word document into a Blackboard test.
Please sign in to leave a comment.