If you used Word to write tests that you print out for your class and now you want to move the tests into Blackboard, the instructions below will show you how a free online Blackboard Test Generator can help you accomplish this otherwise very tedious task.
Disclaimer: This free online tool is created by Oklahoma Christian University. Though it has been available for everyone to use for years, it could be removed at any time. It works with 6 types of test questions. They are: Multiple Choice, Multiple Answers, True/False, Essay Question, Fill-in-the-Blank, and Matching. If there are more Ordering questions than Fill-in-the-Blank questions in your test, review this article for a test generator that includes the Ordering question type.
This is how this tool works in a nutshell. You will:
- Modify the Word document so that the test questions are formatted according to the rules set by the Generator.
- Copy-and-paste the questions into the text box of the Generator.
- Download the generated file and upload it to Blackboard.
Step by Step Instructions
A. Convert the Word document of test questions into a .TXT document or a .zip file
- Click this link: https://ed.oc.edu/blackboardquizgenerator/.
- Read the Basic information section carefully.
- Enter a name for the test.
- Select a question type from the drop-down list under Create Sample Question.
- Click OK. A sample question is created and displays in the test box.
- Select another question type to see the sample. Continue until you have learned the format requirements for all question types you want to see.
- Edit your test document in Word to match the formats required by the generator shown as below. Follow the formatting rules very closely. Then copy all of the test questions and answers from your modified Word document and paste them into the text box on the Generator page. Click Generate Test Questions.
- Click Download Test Questions to receive a .TXT (Optional. You can select Download Question Pool to receive a .Zip file, which can be imported to your Blackboard course’s test Pools. See Importing Question Pools for step-by-step instructions.)
- The saved file is a .TXT file. Find the downloaded file in your computer’s downloads folder. Rename it as necessary. You can open the file with Notepad to see if all is good before uploading to Blackboard. (MC= Multiple Choice; MA =Multiple Answers; TF = True/False; ESS = Essay; FIB = Fill-in-the-Blank; MAT = Matching)
B. Build a test using the generated file
You can create a new test with the .TXT file or add the questions from the .TXT file to an existing but undeployed test.
1. Log into your Blackboard account and navigate to the course you want to use this test. On the content page for your students to access the test, hover over Assessments.
2. Click Test.
3. Click Create (or select an existing test from the list and click Submit. Skip steps 4 and 5 below if you select an existing test).
4. Enter a name for the test. Enter descriptions and instructions.
5. Click Submit.
6. Click Upload Questions.
7. Click Browse to get the .TXT test file from your computer.
8. The file is attached. Click Submit.
9. The upload is successful. Your have now moved your test questions from a Word document into a Blackboard test.