The 2021 spring Blackboard update has brought with it a freshly redesigned Content Editor. While the icons and their placement have changed, most of the functionality you're used to is still available and even easier to use in some cases.
Where's That Button?
Looking for a particular button? The Detailed Comparison Guide (.docx) lists all of the old buttons and their new versions, where applicable.
In the upgrade, Blackboard has introduced new features for you:
- Streamlined Means to Add Inline Content: Embed files, images, and YuJa videos inline using the new Add Content plus button.
- Accessibility Checker: have you wondered how to make the content your compose in Blackboard accessible to all of your learners? Click the Accessibility Button when you're finished composing.
- Paste Text with Formatting: When pasting text you can now choose whether or not to maintain the original formatting.
- MathType Editor: The equation editor has been updated for accessibility. The editor creates images that have alternative text for screen reader users and those with poor internet connections.
- Improved Emoticons: You can now search for and insert hundreds of emoji 🤘
- Improved HTML Editor: If you use the HTML view to add embedded media or custom styles, the editor now has syntax highlighting and numbered rows to improve readability.
- Insert Code Snippets: Properly formats code snippets inline.
<p style="text-transform: uppercase;">Hello, World!</p>
- Automatic Media Embeds: If you're adding media content from YouTube, Vimeo, or Daily Motion, you can now paste the URL to the video in the Content Editor, press enter directly after, and an embed will appear. Note: There should be an empty line above your cursor before pasting.
- Website Preview Cards: Depending on an external website's metadata, a linked preview card of the website may appear when adding web links in the editor.
- Spell Checker Update: Spell checking is no longer automatic as it now supports additional languages. To activate spell check, click ABC icon. To change the language, click the arrow next to the icon to select from English (United Kingdom), English (United States) and Español (Spain).