Pressbooks enables you to easily “clone” or copy any public, openly licensed book from one Pressbooks network to another. When you clone a book to your own network, you create a copy of the original book. You can then revise, remix, and redistribute your copy however you like without affecting the original book.
To clone a book:
- Click ‘My Catalog -> Clone a Book‘ from the top nav-bar or click the ‘Clone a Book’ button on your user dashboard to be brought to the Clone A Book interface.
- Enter the Source Book URL of the book you’d like to clone
- Enter the Target Book URL. This will be the web address for the book you’re about to create. It cannot be changed later, so choose carefully.
- Enter your desired Target Book Title. If you leave this field blank, the target book will have the same title as the sourcebook. Your book title can be changed after cloning is completed using the Book Info tool.
- Click Clone This Book
- Watch the progress of the cloning operation. When the cloning process completes, click the new book’s title in the success message to access the new book’s admin dashboard.
What is included when you clone a book:
- All the chapters, front matter, and back matter that were public and openly licensed in the original sourcebook
- All the text in the above chapters, front matter, and back matter
- All the images, videos, and other media that were in the media library of the original sourcebook and are linked from the cloned content
- Metadata associated with an image
- The metadata in the Book Info section of the original sourcebook
- The metadata for the media content cloned from the original sourcebook
- H5P activities that have been inserted into public parts, chapters, front matter or back matter.
What isn’t included when you clone a book:
- Chapters, front matter, and back matter in the sourcebook that was not public (i.e. has ‘show in web’ checked) or openly licensed at the time the clone was performed
- TablePress tables
- Media galleries, audio, and video playlists
- H5P activities that were created in the sourcebook but have not been embedded in public parts, chapters, front matter, or back matter
This content is adapted from the following works:
“Pressbooks User Guide” by Pressbooks, licensed under CC BY 4.0